Tuesday, April 16, 2013


So last week I was contacted by a man who was asking about my 2nd great grand uncle, John Loveland.  He wanted to know if I had any information on him.  All I know is that when he was 23 years old, he had been married for about 2 years to Anna M. Tate and he was living in Hartford and was a barber.  The year was 1862.  In August of that year he joined the army and went off to fight in the War between the States. 

On September 17, 1862 he fought at the Battle of Antietam.  He was wounded and later died of his wounds in November.  Pretty cut and dry or so I thought…

Well, he did fight at Antietam and he was wounded but the gentleman who contacted me had a copy of his doctor records and according to his doctor, he was wounded in the left leg and, of course, that was certain amputation.  They amputated his leg and there were complications.  The wound getting infected, losing too much blood, etc.  The doctor at one point was optimistic that he would survive but on October 16th he succumbed to his wounds leaving behind a very young widow.

I’m not sure if John knew his future brother-in-law, Charles Johnson, who was my great great grandfather.  Charles was fighting the war at the same time as John but Charles was only 15 at the time.  Five years later John’s younger sister, Julia, would marry Charles and raise a family from whom I am descended.

This man who contacted me is writing a book about the battle and is including John Loveland’s story.  John died in the local Church and then was later buried in the cemetery in town.  I plan to visit his grave one day and leave flowers.  It’s sad to think that this brave young man may be forgotten but I will try to help his memory live on…
John Loveland (1839 - 1862)









No comments:

Post a Comment